You ever sit thinking to yourself all the things you wish you would have known before you got where you are today? The old saying, “If I had known then what I know now” forever embedded in your mind. Or even the infamous, “If you knew better you’d do better.” There are so many things I think back on and wonder if I was as wise as I was now could I have dodged that bullet? I don’t regret anything in the past because they’ve all come with lessons that have made me stronger. It does not however stop me from self-reflecting on bad decisions made on my part. Here’s my list of shxt I wish I had known then, but know now.
- Let Them Earn Their Title Before You Give It Out: I believe because of my caring nature it’s easy for others to take my kindness for weakness. I am also really good at ignoring my intuition and getting myself into the trouble my gut told me was coming long before it came. I’ve stretched myself too thin at times. Giving out titles to “friends” who were undeserving and giving out relationship titles to guys who hadn’t proven they were worthy of me. Face it, sometimes in life we sell ourselves short. It’s not really intentional, but it just happens. At the end of the day it’s best we let people earn their stripes in our lives before we go giving away titles all willy nilly.
- You Can And You Will: I was once afraid to step out on faith and do all of the things in my life that I am presently doing. I allowed the demon of self-doubt and fear tell me all that I couldn’t do all I dreamed or be the person that I had always desired to be. Quite frankly, if it wasn’t for fear and doubt I’d probably be much further in life. Take it from me, whatever is on your heart JUST DO IT! You can do it and you will do it, all it take is for you to believe in yourself.
- Your Worth Is Not Determined By Others Refusal To Value You: No matter how many times I see this quote it still has not stopped me from getting down on myself because of how someone I once cared about feels about me. It’s almost like a slap in the face for you to base your worth off the opinions of others, especially if they’re strangers. I’ve gotten better at tuning out what others say and how they feel. If someone fails to see your worth it’s their loss not yours, keep it moving.
- The Only Things Of True Value Are Things Money Can’t Buy: Call it cliché, but it is the honest truth. It’s crazy how we put so much value on superficial, replaceable things. Things that can be here today and gone tomorrow in the blink of an eye. I am grateful that I know now all of the meaningless“things” I thought had meaning actually equate to absolutely nothing. Without true solid people around to share life with, what is life really? To be honest, nothing is really of value to you until you’re right within and you learn to value others as much as you value self. When you value your life and others you see the bigger picture. You care more and more about collecting memories, things that last forever with people that will last a lifetime.
- Talk Is Cheap: Then I was a talker, not much of a doer. Boy how times have changed. You gotta learn that you’re not as good as what you say you’ll do. You’re only as good as what you actually do. These days, I almost always do everything that I say I am going to do, if I don’t do it that means I’ve concocted a bigger and better idea that I am planning to execute.
- You Can’t Tell Everybody Your Dreams and Plans: Man, you ever be so happy to share something with someone, but if you don’t act on it they take your idea and make it their own? Foolish of me to think everything that comes to mind is for everybody. Sometimes you have to keep your visions between you and God. Not everybody you tell everything to is looking to see you win. Not everybody you share your visions with want to see you happy. If you value it, keep it to yourself.
- Every Detail Of My Life Ain’t Made For Social Media: I’ve learned to just keep my life real low key. I share what I choose to and everything else, if you don’t know you just wont know. When you’re up, they want to see you down. And when you’re down they’re rejoicing about it. What if there was an in between for those types of people? The type of people who watch your social accounts to see if you’re posting anything miserable to make them happy? Best thing is privacy these days, take it from someone who learned the hard way.
- Life Is Definitely Like A Box Of Chocolates: Ignoring the fact that Forest Gump was one of my favorite movies as a kid (Save your judgments lol) I never really realized how true that saying was until about a few years ago. You never know what life is going to throw at you. You just have to roll with the punches and take life as it comes.
- I’ll Probably Never Marry Trey Songz: My love for him runs deep. And although this love affair has lived on in my mind and heart since about 2005/2006. I am getting too old to be changing his tweets and mentioning myself fronting as if he’s actually replied to me. Too old to be stalking his Instagram on the late nights. I need to let it go… Had I come to this realization years ago, I would have saved a ton of money on albums, concerts and heartbreak… I say all of that praying he’s reading this. (Hey Boo)